Sunday, January 10, 2016

Mom and Dad come to the Bahamas!!

After my Beautiful sister's wedding and Christmas my parents came home with me to the Bahamas for a relaxing vacation.

We booked our flight a few months in advanced and the airlines ended up changing it on us to a redeye flight.  We got through it and made it to the Bahamas, but we were all pretty exhausted from that.  Tyson and Dylan didn't do that great on the flight which also made for a long trip back.  

MONDAY:  my dad and Andrew got invited to go on a fishing boat adventure for the day, while my mom, me and the kids explored where we live.  We were still pretty tired so it was a low-key kind of day.  And apparently a few of the bugs missed me over the past few weeks.  Hahaha

They caught a Mahi-Mahi 

The fish is pretty vibrant in colors, until it's out of the water too long, then the colors start to fade :(


Later that day my dad spotted a different kind of fish in the water, from our dock.  We watched it as it walked along the ground slowly.  It had 4 legs. 2 bigger ones in the front that it used for walking or it stuck straight out in front of its body when it wanted to swim, and then 2 smaller ones in the back. Then it had a tail like a fish and fins on the either side of it like a normal fish.  Our first thought was that it was a frog or pollywog of some sort in the transformation period.

 I decided we needed to get the GoPro out and video it. When my dad and I came back to the dock dressed and ready, my mom said it did something unusual.  It fanned out its side fins and it turned bright blue.  I definitely wanted to get this thing on video!!




Kind of cool huh!!!
We did some research on this crazy, cool fish and it's called a Flying Gurnard.  (It doesn't actually fly though Hahaha) 

Here are some links I found on this rare fish:  

It was Really fun to see a new kind of fish and a rare one at that.  Soo glad my dad spotted it!! 

All in all it was a pretty Great first day here on Guana exploring!!  It's Soo fun having family out here!! Excited for tomorrow's adventures!! :)

UPDATE: I forgot to post the rest of the days, so here is a quick run down:

TUESDAY: Took Conner to the dock and went with him over to Marsh.  He got in his taxi, and off to school he went. We went to a yummy bakery called "Da Bes Yet", but unfortunately it was closed.  So we headed over to Maxwell's, the main grocery store, and stocked up in our insulated bags for the 30 min ferry ride back.

WEDNESDAY: Meg was Soo sweet to let come over and Snorkel off her dock.  That was fun!!  I called my neighbor, Cassy, to watch the boys for me last min.  We were all at the dock, but Dylan wasn't cooperating so off to Cassy's we went. It was Soo nice of her to watch them for me last min.

THURSDAY:  went to Hopetown island.  Walked through the lighthouse, ate lunch at Abaco Inn, took Lots of pictures.  Came back to Great Guana Cay, went and looked for sea glass at Sea Glass Beach, relaxed, nightly ritual of going to the dock and looking for fish.  Ate wings at Sunsetter's tonight.  Wanted to show my parents our favorite restaurant to eat at.

FRIDAY:  took a tour of Baker's Bay, where Andrew works. Played a game called Qwixx, that I've been obsessing over ever since Andrew bought it for me.  Hahaha

SATURDAY: It's always hard to say Goodbye.  My parents had to get on the 9am ferry to make their 1pm flight.  Ya, that's the only ferry going over before their flight took off, besides the noon and that's too close to their departure time.  Their flight ended up being delayed until 3pm, such a bummer!!  We all wish we knew that ahead of time, we could have put them on the noon ferry.  These are the things that are hard to live by while living here.  We took a few selfies before they went inside.  I miss them!

No comments: