Monday, September 5, 2016

1st Grade in Abaco, Bahamas

It's crazy to think our oldest is now entering Grade School! I was curious how he was going to do.  We had an Open House on Friday and he was pretty shy and quiet, so I wasn't sure how his first day of school would go, and I'm still curious how the rest of this week is going to go.  His teacher isn't going to be in until next week.  Hopefully, that doesn't throw everything off next week, but I totally understand why she isn't here.  She is taking her child to college.  I can't even imagine when that day will come for us. Stay little Conner, Please!  I'm grateful we aren't at that stage of life yet.  :)


He already seems Soo much bigger than last year!!


We kept asking him if he was excited for school and he always nodded his head yes, so that gave me comfort, though, he was quiet on the ferry ride over, hardly saying a word.


As soon as the ferry was docked Conner was up and heading off the boat, then as soon as he saw his taxi driver from last year, Ms. MaryAnn, he ran towards the van!! I had to stop him from getting in the car so I could take a picture of him and Ms. MaryAnn.  I got one picture and then I was out of space, go figure. Hahaha At least I got this one!!  :)


We Love Ms. MaryAnn!! I don't know what we would do without her!! It is a blessing and a tender mercy to have her! Another familiar face for Conner to recognize, and she takes Such Good care of Conner for us!! 

We drove to the school and met Conner there, and waited for Ms. MaryAnn to drop him off, so we could walk with him to class.  Yes, it's an interesting way to "take" him to school ourselves, but that's how it's been since we got here. We walked him to his class, which no one was there. We noticed a bunch of kids lined up outside the chapel, we found his class, and he got in line.  


As soon as I gave him my first hug goodbye, I saw him trying not to cry.  He was being Soo brave.  I just wanted to hug him and comfort him, but the more I did, the worse it got.  I didn't want to leave him. I thought I heard one of his classmates, Alayna, ask if he was crying, in which he replied, defensively, "No."  I felt instantly bad for him and knew we had to leave. 
We had to fill out a form inside the school office so we did, when we came back outside, I saw a family friend, Abi, lined up with her classmates. She's older, but I could tell she was having a hard time too.  This was her first time going to school here in the Bahamas.  She was also being Soo brave.  I ran up and gave her a hug and told her I couldn't wait to hear all about her first day of school.  I wasn't sure how to comfort her, but I hope that helped.  As we waited in the car for Abi's mom, we saw Conner coming out of the chapel with his class, he seemed to have a little skip in his step and I was again Soo grateful for that little tender mercy for me to see him happier than we had just left him moments before.  It put a much needed smile on my face  :)

Dropping Conner off at school didn't take long at all, and we had an hour and a half to kill before we would leave on the next ferry, so we ran some errands around town. Some which were successful and some that well, weren't.  Hahaha But that's how it is here, you just learn to roll with it.  Lol!! 
When we were waiting for the ferry to arrive at the dock, I looked at the kids and me and realized, that it's now just the 3 of us at home everyday until 4 when we leave to pick up Conner at the ferry dock. 


It took awhile to get home today, when we got off the dock.  We realized our golf cart was parked at the other dock, the Town Ferry, which is Not a short walk, and especially not one we would do in the heat of the day, & with kids. We had to borrow a cart to get our cart, and then drop it back off again, not a big deal, but all in all it took about an hour to finally get home. 
We ate some lunch, Andrew headed into work, Dylan took a nap, and Tyson and I had a pretty chill day, which was nice for the first day. (Tomorrow I'll have to actually get some things done. Hahaha). Dylan didn't wake up from his nap until it was time to pick up Conner at the dock.  Pretty sure that was a record for him! Hahaha 

The anticipation while waiting for Conner to get home today from his first day of school was not just in me alone.  I could feel all the moms and dads everywhere waiting and watching for the ferry to arrive to hear how their kids did.  I knew it was a Good day at school when Conner wasn't running to see me.  It doesn't mean he had a bad day at school if he does, I just know he missed us, but today he just strolled on over with a cup of ice in his hand, very nonchalant.  I'm pretty sure I was more excited to see him than he was to see me.  
He said school was good! The power went out for a little bit, and they could hear thunder.  The day didn't seem long.  He sits next to Sadie and Alayna.  He played "Follow the leader" with his teacher.  Which he mistakes the tune for "Follow the Prophet" Hahaha Yes, the children's song from church. 
It was Sooo Good to hear he had such a Good day!! It definitely makes this mama's heart happy and makes it a little easier to send him off to school tomorrow!! 

So another day, another year at Agape Christian School. Soo curious, nervous, and excited to see how this year unfolds.  

We Love you Conner!!  You are Soo Brave & Strong to make this daily trek to and from school given the hours of the day, and the situation in which you are in.  You are Sweet to everyone and always thinking of others.  I pray that you make Good friends and have a Wonderful and Memorable year!!  


No comments: